Number of Days:
2 days, 09:00 to 16:30. Your instructor is available during lunch and after 16:30 for informal discussions about your specific area of interest or applications.
This training course is also provided on-site upon request. Call +31 33 7 630 636 for additional information.
Keywords: IHE XDS, document metadata, enterprise clinical data storage,
document lifecycle management, enterprise document and image management.
Who Should Attend: This training course is aimed at those involved with the design, development, implementation, deployment and support
- of systems that use (or will use) the IHE XDS or IHE XDS-I standard,
- of an architecture for the archival of both diagnostic images as well as (non-image) documents, in support of an Electronic Health Record
incorporating all aspects of the EHR, not just medical imaging.
- of an architecture for the exchange of documents (images as well as non-images) between departments and between organizations, in support
of cross-organizational workflows.
What is covered: The IHE (Integrating the Health Care Enterprise) activities have resulted in a series of profiles.
You will get familiar with the IHE XDS profile as well as related/supporting profiles , e.g. related to the structure of the medical documents,
authentication and patient consent.
Learning goals: after this training course the attendees will be able to:
- Explain the core features of IHE XDS and related IHE profiles,
- Identify issues related to the archiving of both documents as well as images,
- Explain the dependencies between IHE XDS, architectures for archival (ECM, VNA, Cloud), and metadata management,
- Determine how IHE XDS and related content management principles fit within your own context.
Agenda: (2 days)
- Overview of core IHE processes and terms
- IHE organizational, process aspects, Connectathon
- General issues: actors, transactions, affinity domain
- Claiming conformance to IHE profiles
- A functional overview of XDS and XDS-I
- cross-enterprise sharing of documents, document based EHR
- metadata update (MUP), metadata based subscription (DSUB)
- Affinity domain issues (also: CT, PIX/PDQ/PAM, SVS, ATNA)
- Example project #1: document exchange within a healthcare provider organisation
- Information Lifecycle Management (ILM)
- Long term archival of clinical data (inclusive of images)
- Retention policy, Migration Issues
- Documents and Document metadata
- Document metadata, XDS Metadata
- Document standards: e.g. CDA, DICOM SR, DICOM KOS, PDF/A3
- Exercise: document metadata
- XDS in-depth: details of the XDS, XDS-I, XDR/XDM profiles
- Example project #2: MammoXML - XDS-I and lifecycle management, data migration issues
- Access control and Authentication
- Overview of the EUA, XUA, IUA profiles - user authentication, user directories
- Overview of Patient Consent related profiles (BPPC)
- Centralized Policy Registries, XACML
- Cross affinity domain issues, XCA, XCA-I for DICOM images
- Exercise (group discussion): affinity domain, XCA
- Content workflow, XDW
- Example project #3: XCA and XDW
- Content profiles
- Overview of the HL7 CDA standard, CDA Implementation Guides
- Relationship between CDA and DICOM SR
- Document Management Systems (DMS)
- Exercise: document formats
- Vendor Neutral Archive (VNA)
- VNA and its relationship to PACS, DMS – archival strategies
- IHE XDS as a ‘virtual VNA’
- Enhancing a VNA with non-DICOM objects, enhancing an existing EMR with images
- Example project #4: XDS + VNA, with DMS already in place, and an XCA-ready architecture.
- Profiles for app based scenarios: IHE MHD
Attendees are assumed to have a basic understanding of XML, DICOM, HL7v2, Webservices and healthcare workflows.
Number of Attendees per Class: Min 6, Max 20.
Ringholm will provide each participant with handouts containing all materials covered in the training as well as other support materials.